Get involved by joining the volunteer team
The 2024 Australian Rowing Championships will be held at the Sydney International Regatta Centre, Penrith from 18 March – 24 March 2024.
The event would not be possible without our dedicated and generous team of volunteers. Volunteering with us is a great way to get involved and support Rowing as a sport and support rowers competing on an international level. It is also a great opportunity to get involved in an international event in your local community.
If you would like to be part of our volunteer team that helps us create a great experience for competitors and spectators in 2024, you can register your interest today!
Volunteers will assist the event in various roles to ensure the event is running smoothly for competitors and that spectators have a great experience.
Spectator Services Roles
Volunteers will assist with controlling entry and exit points at the event such as checking tickets and accreditation and providing general information and directions to spectators to ensure spectators have a great and safe experience.
If you enjoy engaging with people and providing customer service and making people smile, these roles are for you.
Rowing related Roles
Volunteers will assist in roles that help us run the competition effectively and ensures competitors have a great experience. Rowing related roles include handing out bow numbers, time keeping, boat holding, presentation and victory pontoon assistants.
If you love Rowing, you will enjoy these roles. Knowledge of the sport and competition is beneficial but not essential.
Volunteers will assist in roles that support a smooth running of the competition and related services. This includes roles such as media assistant, site office assistant, driver, boat park assistant, Runner and coordinating printing and distributing information.
We also have some specialised roles available such as boat drivers and coordinator roles. These require specific qualifications.
All volunteers are required to complete a minimum of 2 shifts during the 7-day event. Some specialised roles require a higher minimum of shifts.
Please click on Register Here for Position Descriptions and to register to volunteer.
f you are a club and would like to volunteer as a group, we would love to hear from you! Please contact us on [email protected].
Volunteer Recognition & Benefits
As a volunteer with us you will receive the following benefits:
- An official volunteer uniform including shirt, cap, drink bottle and bag
- Food and drink during your shift
- The experience of volunteering at an amazing event
- The opportunity to see Australia’s best rowers in action
- Free parking
- Post-event thank you function
- Volunteer certificate
- Reference letter as required
Volunteer Registrations Open Now
Volunteer Shifts Open 5 December 2023
Volunteer Registrations Close 24 March 2024
Volunteer Rostering February 2024
Briefing & Uniform Collection 17 March 2024
Event Dates 18 March –24 March 2024
Thank You Function 24 March (one hour after completion of last race)
Volunteering & Spectating
Volunteers are welcome to come early, or stay after their shift to spectate. For example; volunteer in the morning, and you may stay for the remainder of the day at no cost.
Working With Children / Vulnerable People Check
Rowing Australia is committed to providing a safe environment for our children spectators and athletes. Volunteers in some positions MAY be required to obtain a valid NSW Government Working with Children Check / Working with Vulnerable People Registration, or interstate equivalent.
How do I apply?
Registrations can be made through the volunteer portal. Once you have registered, you will receive further information and register for your shifts once available.
Rowing Australia (RA) values and appreciates the contribution volunteers make to the Australian Rowing Championships (ARC) event. To ensure all volunteers have a safe and enjoyable experience at the ARC, the following conditions apply. Please read and accept the conditions below, if you have any questions please contact Rowing Australia.
- Give permission for the ARC to maintain on file; my personal information, relevant to my voluntary duties, which may be accessed by relevant staff
members of ARC in the case of an emergency. I understand that this information will not be given to any other person or agency unless I give my specific permission.
- Understand that photographs, videos and audio recordings may be taken by and of people participating in activities at the ARC. I understand that it is my responsibility to remove myself if I do not wish to appear in photographs, videos or audio recordings.
- Agree to represent the organisation in a positive way.
- Will not take illegal drugs or consume alcohol whilst engaged in volunteer activities, or be under the influence of the same whilst engaged in volunteer activities.
- Agree to work in a manner that is safe to myself, other volunteers, paid staff and members of the public.
- Agree to support a non-discriminatory and harassment-free work environment.
- Agree to treat competitors, volunteers and staff with respect, courtesy and consideration.
- Agree to obtain a NSW Government Working with Children Check (or interstate equivalent).
- Agree to participate in essential orientation and training arranged by the ARC Volunteer Coordinator and Area Coordinators as required.
- Agree to work in all positions as rostered or required.
- Agree to accept guidance and direction from the person to whom I am responsible in my voluntary role.
- Agree to work as part of a team.
- Agree to sign the Attendance Register at each volunteering session.
- Agree to inform the ARC Volunteer Coordinator and Area Coordinators if I am unable to attend a rostered session.
- Agree to inform the ARC Volunteer Coordinator and Area Coordinators if I am unable to continue as a volunteer.
- Agree and acknowledge that I have read, understand and agree to be bound by and comply with the National Integrity Framework and all other RA Policies available at https://www.rowingaustralia.com.au/rowing-australia-policies/
- Agree that I have no (and may not represent that I have any) power, right or authority to bind RA or to assume or create any obligation or responsibility on behalf of RA or in RA’s name, nor to expend
money on RA’s behalf, unless expressly advised by a duly authorised representative of RA.
- Understand that RA has public liability, professional indemnity and personal accident insurance that covers volunteers in all normal circumstances, however I agree that, in the event that I am responsible for a wrongful, unlawful or negligent act, I indemnify RA against any claims, damages, costs, losses, liabilities and expenses arising out of or in connection with that act or omission.